Thursday, May 21, 2009

"Under His Wings"


May 21, 2009--I have not had a chance to post this week, so I thought I'd share a devotional I wrote last May. I hope you enjoy it. It's my favorite one that I've written.

We have a little red birdhouse in our backyard that my Daddy built for Luke last year. We were delighted to see a family of bluebirds take up residence in it earlier this Spring. We anxiously awaited the hatching of five tiny eggs and daily checked in to see how things were going since the babies hatched. We continue to watch the parents’ tireless efforts to keep those five mouths fed.

We have particularly noted how diligently the Daddy bluebird works to feed his hatchlings. He is constantly flying in and out of the house with a meal for his children. He watches us warily and closely when we peer in at the babies. Their well-being and safety seem to be his number one priority.

Whenever the Daddy flies in to feed the babies, they chirp for all they are worth. They continue to cry out for him long after he has flown off in search of more food for them. The babies have to trust that he will soon return and satisfy their most basic need. In my mind, I imagine they eagerly anticipate their next encounter with their Daddy.

Watching this father with his children reminds me of our relationship with our Heavenly Father. Psalms 91:4 says “He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge; His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.” How many times we cry out to God and He holds us close in His comforting embrace! He tirelessly watches over us and protects us from those who seek to do us harm. We never have to worry about Him not satisfying our needs. He has already given us everything we need and provides for us bountifully. We should always eagerly anticipate our next encounter with our Abba (Hebrew for “Daddy”), our Father, as well. He eagerly awaits us.

God Bless You!--Lianne

1 delightful comments:

Lois Christensen said...

How beautiful!