Monday, November 16, 2009

Heads Up!


November 16, 2009

There I was, just sitting in the recliner, talking to my Mom on the phone.  It had been a good Saturday morning so far.  I'd made cinnamon rolls for breakfast, and I was OWNING the laundry.

Oh, yes.  It was a good day.

Until IT happened.

Like an asteroid  had come crashing through my roof, I was struck directly on the top of my head.  I leapt from the chair, demanding answers as to what had just occurred, all the while trying not to pass out from the blinding pain.  Just as the unbidden tears began streaming down my cheeks, a little voice belonging to Luke came from above.

"I dropped a golf ball."

After bidding a hasty and tearful farewell to my Mom, I collapsed in a pile of tears, snot, and cold sweat on the sofa (out of range from the upstairs balcony, in case a golf club was coming next).  I cried out for" ice, ice, please, for the love of all things good and holy, ice!"  Jason brought a bag of spinach, I think.  For all the life of me, all I could think was "Eww, something was next to the garlic bread in the freezer.  Blecch."  He switched out the hard-frozen spinach for a bag of English peas, since it conformed to my head better.

As he brought me the peas, Jason asked if he could look at where I'd been hit.  As I gingerly removed the peas (and threatened his life if he touched my head), he asked, "Where is it--oh!  I can see it."

It was just like in cartoons.  Jerry hits Tom with the hammer.  Large lump instantly appears.

Cartoons are real, I tell you.

After the crisis was over, Jason marveled at all of the crazy factors that had aligned just so to make this happen:  Luke dropped the golf ball at just the precise spot, so that it went through the balcony rails, (and as I figure it, got up to 947 miles per hour) and landed directly on my skull.

Good times.

So, if the headaches go away, I am going to write a few posts this week about other freaky things that have happened to me.  My one-year blogging anniversary is this Wednesday, so it seems like a good enough way to celebrate.

Do you have a flying projectile to the head story to share?  If so, I want to hear it! 








8 delightful comments:

Lois Christensen said...

Oh you poor thing!! I can only imagine the pain as that ball hit your head!!! Hope it's better today!

Carrie Engle said...

no, but i had a black eye for weeks from a light saber.

Jill said...

I can't think of any but Mama Hen could write a book!

Rachel said...

Poor you!! I'm so sorry!

I got my first black eye (and it was a GOOD one) from my softball coach throwing the ball back to me when he made me stay late to practice pitching and the sun was going down and I couldn't see to catch it.. . ..

Christen said...

So sorry about your golf ball bump!
When I was in college I played in a church softball league. I was playing outfield one night, lost a fly ball in the lights and it landed directly above my right eye. The hit was so bad it gave me TWO black eyes, my right eye was swollen shut and my left eye was swollen about half way shut, all I could do for 3 or 4 days is lay in bed and stare at the ceiling. I had black eyes for a whole YEAR afterwards! Luckily I didn't have any permanent damage :)

Marie said...

Ouch ouch ouch! Your story was bad enough but then the other comments. Ouch ouch ouch. I got nothin but ouch!

Anonymous said...

Shelbie took a hit from the car trunk in the center of the head the Monday after your Saturday hit. I do think yours is a lot worse, Shelbie had no lump.

Love you
Rene

Lee Pearson said...

I was sound asleep one night when a very large and heavy roll of contact paper rolled off a shelf above my bed and hit me square on top of the head. This was not long after poor Natasha Richardson's skiing accident, and I'm a bit of a hypochondriac (sp?), so I was concerned. My sister woke to me pacing around in the dark and asked, "what are you doing?" and I replied, "trying to decide whether to go back to bed or call 911". I finally told her I loved her and bade her farewell, then went to sleep. Guess it turned out ok. =)