Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday the 13th Foodfest!

Two nights ago, I made some seriously yummy chicken and grilled broccoli, thanks to my friend Sandi at the Whistlestop Cafe. (Check out her blog for that and some other awesome recipes!) The chicken recipe called for 10 cloves of garlic. Luke was fascinated by the smell if made. Jason remarked that it reminded him of a dish we'd had at the Stinking Rose restaurant in San Francisco last fall. Every dish there contained garlic!








It was great food, but by the end of the night, or maybe closer to 3:00 a.m., the smell in the hotel room from both of us breathing was unreal. (Yes, we'd showered and brushed our teeth, but the garlic odor was oozing from our pores, I'm pretty sure.) And we didn't even order the garlic ice cream!


Hmmm...I digress... After Jason made the remark about the Stinking Rose, Luke, the little wisecracker that he is, says--in total seriousness--"Mommy, I think I know why they call it the Stinking Rose." I asked why and he replied, "Because somebody took their shoes off and their feet were [whispered] STINKY!"

He slays me with stuff like that on a daily basis. We call them "Lukeisms."

Yesterday was Jason's 37th birthday, so I decided to do up a big meal for him. I grilled HUGE steaks, baked MASSIVE potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, and made a salad. Luke was determined to bake a cake (!) for his Daddy's birthday, so he, Emma, and I took to the kitchen and created this chocolate cake:

(Emma was being especially goofy in this picture.
We used Paula Deen's birthday cake recipe in Luke's
Paula Deen kids' cookbook. It was great!)






I also made a raspberry souffle. It was the first time I've ever tried making a souffle. I had the kids tip-toeing and whispering for fear it would fall. I made the souffle not because we are souffle people--we AREN'T--but because it was much lower in fat, calories, carbs, etc. I forgot to take a picture of it before we ate it, but it looked a lot like this:It was delicious! Here's the recipe:

Raspberry Souffle
Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup(s) seedless raspberry spreadable fruit, (no-sugar-added jam)
  • 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
  • 4 large (1/2 cup) egg whites
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoon(s) sugar

Directions

  • 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat raspberry fruit spread with lemon juice; set aside.
  • 2. In small bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until whites begin to mound. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add sugar, beating until sugar dissolves and whites stand in stiff peaks when beaters are lifted.
  • 3. With rubber spatula, fold one-third of whites into raspberry mixture until well-blended, then fold in remaining whites. Spoon mixture into 1 1/2-quart soufflĂ© dish; gently spread evenly.
  • 4. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until soufflĂ© is puffed and lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information

(per serving)

Calories75
Total Fat--
Saturated Fat--
Cholesterol--
Sodium35mg
Total Carbohydrate16g
Dietary Fiber1g
Sugars--
Protein3g

Have a great weekend! Let me know if you decide to try the recipe. I'd love to know what you think!

2 delightful comments:

Temple said...

So, I need to come to your house...dear Lord that all sounds GREAT!!!

Missy Wertz said...

Oh I nearly died laughing at your post! And oh all the food sounds so good... Yum...