Friday, February 20, 2009

Age is just a number, right? Right??? Geez.

My dear, sweet 8-year-old daughter put me firmly in my place today.

She said, "Mommy, you will be 33 this year on your birthday, right?"
I said, "I already am 33. I will be 34 in August."
"Oh," she says. "So, it was 20 years ago that you were 13."
(For some reason this has never occurred to me. If you know me, you know I am not about the numbers. I am a WORD girl.)
I replied in all seriousness, "Well, some days I feel like I'm still 13."

She laughs. An evil, snarky, mocking kind of laugh.

(Note to self: She doesn't get to date until she's 30.)

Then she adds, "So, you are like a million times my age."

(Note to self: Clearly she's not getting this multiplication thing. Get out flash cards after dinner.)



Have a great weekend, everyone!

4 delightful comments:

Merry said...

It's totally just a number! Since I will reach the ripe old age of 34 this year as well, that's my story & I'm sticking to it. The great thing for me is that my hubby is 10 years older than me so my stepkids think he's ancient & I'm just old. :)

Busy Mom in CA said...

Too funny. My 5 year old was asking me today how old I am. He must think I'm as old as dirt. Age is all in the attitude. I still feel like I'm in my late 20s. I got married on my birthday so when I don't feel like celebrating big number birthdays, we'll concentrate on the anniversary. Pretty smart, huh?! I enjoy your blog!

Lois Christensen said...

My son is always reminding me of how old I am. I always need to remind him to please take about 5 years off that number!!! And I agree with the first comment, it's only a number!!!! Enjoyed your story!

Nicole said...

hee hee hee hee.... good times. One of my favorite things to do at Sundayschool is, on my birthday, ask all the kids to guess how old I am. That's always fun- I get "17!"..."45!"..."22!"..."37" Kids have no concept of anything. They pick and eat their own buggers for crying out loud. Let that give you some perspective. Haha... ;)