Sunday, October 31, 2010

Hoarders


Have you ever seen the television program called “Hoarders?”  I am appalled and fascinated by it, all at the same time.  The concept of the show is that a person or family is seeking help for an unbelievable problem.  Their homes have been taken over by stuff.  Sometimes the stuff is as innocuous as piles upon piles of clothing, books, and boxes of belongings.  Other times, the person or family keeps everything in their home, including garbage, animal or human waste, and other unthinkable filth.  The homeowner occasionally has an explanation for why things have gotten to that point, but most of the time, they can’t explain why it happened.

Inevitably, every time I watch the show, I always ask myself:  “How do they let it get so bad?  At what point did they just give up and let the piles of stuff take over?”  The good thing about the show is that the person or family receives help cleaning up and counseling for their problem.  They are given a way out, if they choose to accept it.

I think this show is a pretty good comment on the sin condition in our world.  A person starts out with a little “pet” sin.  That gateway sin leads to other ones.  Eventually, the person finds himself in over his head in the filth of sin.  Sometimes, he says “I’ve let it get too bad.  I’m just going to give up and let this sin lifestyle take over.”

The good news is that this person --and all believers --have a way out, if we choose to accept it.  Jesus Christ spilled his blood so that we may be free from the filth and guilt of our sin.  His blood washes us as white as snow.

God Bless You!--Lianne

5 delightful comments:

Mrs. Jennifer said...

Well, well. Look who showed up on my dashboard!

Never seen the show, but have heard about it.

And you're right! We don't dive right into sin, it starts out a little at a time until we look back and think "how in the world did I get here??" Have to be on guard!

Anonymous said...

Hoarders is both facinating and freaky--I agree.

LOL at our meeting your cousin on Corridor X. He was super nice and very quick about getting us back on the road! I actually thought about you about 1 a.m. when we stopped in the Winfield Texaco for hot chocolate and gum. Maybe next time I'm up that way we can meet up! We are probably coming to the Bama vs. Miss State game so maybe there =) ttfn, J

Trina said...

I agree, it's like watching a train wreck. Love the metaphor. So true!

j said...

I hadn't thought of it that way. You are right - sin can escalate the same way.

Hoarders makes me cringe. I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff since that show came on.

Lois Christensen said...

I cannot watch that show!! Being the neat freak I am it just makes me so uncomfortable! I have a really, really, really good friend and her house is not anywhere near a hoarders house but it so messy and cluttered, it's hard to find some place to sit! I can't spend much time at her house either.

Great connection you made there with the sin. It starts little and snowballs into something big.