Miss Anna Beth!
Born at 10:03 a.m. on Thursday, May 20, 2010. She weighed 9 pounds, 1 ounce and was 20 inches long.
1. The anesthesiologist had to stick me twice to put in the epidural. Jason didn't watch this time, fortunately. I'd had a nice shot of Nubain, so I really didn't care.
2. Anna Beth's heartrate took a big plunge soon after I got the epidural boost. The nurse laid me flat on my back and my blood pressure started dropping like crazy. I was pretty loopy as a result of the Ambien from the night before ("Good enough for Tiger Woods, good enough for my wife,"--Jason), the Nubain, and the epidural, so it really didn't occur to me to be alarmed until later. Buzzers were blaring as my BP dropped to 83/38. My nurse, Laura, called the nurse's station for help. They brought her ephedrine to try to raise my pressure back up. I was non-plussed as I watched her squeeze an entire bag of glucose into my veins. After two doses of ephedrine, my bottom number finally started to come up a little. I am thankful that my nurse never lost her cool and was totally in control.
3. Right after this episode, I told my nurse that I felt pressure. She'd just checked and I was only 7 cm or so. She checked again and I was at 9. She phoned my doctor who told her to tell me to push when I was ready. Jason called my parents to find out where they and the kids were. They were still about 30 minutes away! I told him not to tell them that I was pushing because I didn't want them to break the speed barrier to get there!
4. After only 13 minutes of pushing, Anna Beth arrived. Just like Luke, she had the cord wrapped tightly around her neck. Also, just like Luke, she weighed the exact same as he did, but was an inch shorter in length.
5. Emma didn't want to leave the hospital on the day Anna Beth was born. She wanted to stay on and hold her all night. She is SUCH a GREAT big sister!
6. Anna Beth is a really good baby. I told Jason that if the other two had been this easy, we would have had 10 or 11. He gave me a serious stinkeye over that comment. He tells folks that ask if this is our first baby, "No, it's our last." That cracks me up every time. It's totally true, though!
7. I have bounced back from having Anna Beth so much faster than I did with my previous two. God has really blessed me!
Thanks to all who've checked on us. We appreciate your prayers as we start this new chapter in our lives. Also, a big thanks goes to Rachel who visited us. Not too much longer, Mama, and you'll have your "Cletus the Fetus" here to hold and snuggle!
My Awesome Kids
Have a great Memorial Day weekend!